Plan, Promote, Organize and Implement Programs for Construction, Development, Operation, Repairs and Maintenance of National Highways/ Motorways and Strategic Roads.
Powers & Duties of NHA
* Advise the Federal Government on matters relating to National Highways and Strategic Roads .
* Frame a scheme or schemes for matters such as construction, expansion, operation and development of National Highways and Strategic Roads and undertake work/incur expenditure on such scheme(s).
* Acquire any land in accordance with legal procedure and obtain and dispose of moveable and immovable property of interests therein.
* Research and development in the field of Highways.
* Procure plant, machinery, instruments and materials required for its use.
* Enter into and perform all such contracts as it may consider necessary.
* Levy, collect or cause to be collected tolls on National Highways, Strategic Roads and such other roads as may be entrusted to it and bridges thereon.
* License facilities on roads under its control on such terms as it deems fit.
* Determine a building line between which and the RoW it shall not be lawful without the consent of the Authority to construct or maintain any structure or make any excavation.
* Cause studies, surveys, experiments and technical researches to be made or contribute towards the cost of such studies, surveys, experiments or technical researches made by any other agency.